Is the Trend Really Our Friend?

The trend is our friend is a catchy saying but is it really the holy grail of trading the capital markets.  The answer to this question surrounds your style of trading and the strategies that you are looking to employ when initiate a trade.

Markets trend approximately 30% of the time and the other 70% they are consolidating in a range.  New information is usually the impetus that breaks a security out of a trading range, as investors who are caught on the wrong side are forced to either sell their securities or buy back short positions.  Once a security breaks out of a range, it moves in search of a new range and during this period the market trends.

The definition of a trend is the movement in one specific direction over a period of time that continues.  Trends obviously move until they stop, and there are many techniques that you may use to identify a trend. Below is a great example using EUR/USD including chart.

This content is restricted to site members. If you are an existing user, please log in. New users may register below for FREE.

Existing Users Log In
   
New User Registration
*Required field
easyMarkets
With over a decade of trading expertise and 100,000 fulfilled clients in 160 countries worldwide, easyMarkets will tick all your boxes whether you are a new or experienced trader, affiliate or introducing broker. Trade currencies, commodities, metals, vanilla options and indices from one place without the jargon, complicated offers and confusing terms! Welcome to the exciting world of trading. Welcome to easyMarkets.
easyMarkets on FacebookeasyMarkets on GoogleeasyMarkets on TwittereasyMarkets on Youtube
easyMarkets

easyMarkets

With over a decade of trading expertise and 100,000 fulfilled clients in 160 countries worldwide, easyMarkets will tick all your boxes whether you are a new or experienced trader, affiliate or introducing broker. Trade currencies, commodities, metals, vanilla options and indices from one place without the jargon, complicated offers and confusing terms! Welcome to the exciting world of trading. Welcome to easyMarkets.

Translate »